Thursday, August 26, 2010

How to Gain 5 lbs in One Week!

Earlier this week in my boredom I made a batch of "The Good Ranch". If you have ever been out to eat with me chances are you have heard me ask the server if they have the good ranch. Typically the servers know if they do or not. I first met the good ranch when I worked at the 68th St Grill in Dutton, Michigan. What a fun high school job that was. One of my jobs was to make the ranch. It's super easy and super sinful and probably why it tastes so good. Its a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix, 1 cup buttermilk and 1 cup salad dressing. I use real mayonnaise, but the light or salad dressing is still good and should last about 4 weeks.

I have about 3 cups of buttermilk left over so I froze an ice cube tray's worth for next time I want to make the ranch. I plan on making Buttermilk Ice Cream with the remainder. I found the recipe at SmittenKitchen.com and am so excited to make it for a BBQ we're having tomorrow night! I think I am going to serve it with blueberries. The ice cream recipe called for heavy whipping cream so I bought some today, saved what I need for the ice cream and made real butter with the leftovers.

I have never made butter before, unless you count in preschool at Thanksgiving in baby food jars, and it was so easy. I followed the recipe from the kitchn and it turned out great! I just hope it really lasts like it says it should.
Ready to start!
Whipped and fluffy after about 1 minute
Starting to come together
Drained off buttermilk (I would save, but I have leftovers already. I should have planned better)
Rinsing the buttermilk off the butter
Squeezed dry and ready to enjoy!
!
Yummy!



 Tomorrow on to making mayonnaise!

1 comment: