Monday, August 23, 2010

Home Grown Veggies!

Picture from last year 2009




One of my 30 before 30 is the plant and harvest a garden. I spent Saturday evening and Sunday at my parent's place on Spring Lake in Michigan and had a chance to get some garden inspiration. My dad loves his garden so much and you can tell by how much time he spends there. My garden will surely be much smaller than his. My parents are pretty much vegetarians and eat very healthfully so it is not surprising they have a garden. They also started composting and collect rain water from the roof of the garage (pictured) in a barrel convered with a screen.


The best part of our visit was bringing all these yummy veggies home. I won't have to shop this week! Onions, tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, eggplant, and potatoes. The broccoli, spinach, lettuce were almost done so none was available to take and the sweet potatoes and carrots weren't ready yet. My mom also went with my older sister and the kids to pick peaches so we grabbed a few of those too! What a great reason to want to live closer to home.

I can't wait to have my own garden someday and can, pickle, and jam all the goodies! For now, I will have to settle for making my own butter, mayo, peanut butter, and ranch dressing. These are this week's projects and they are not near as healthy as growing veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment