Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reality Bites!

After a fun summer of bumming around the reality of school/semi-part time job/health insurance/dentist/etc. is setting in and it ain't pretty. In fact, I am having a lot of anxiety about it. This is no surprise though, in my counseling skills class we all had to counsel each other and this was my main problem (that and the whole when am I going to get married thing). I have known the day was going to come where I am taking more classes and don't have as much financial aid to live off, my savings have shrunk considerably, and I don't really want to get a "real" job. That day is today. While I have enjoyed the past year of being a "full-time student" with a part-time job and think it is finally time to face the music.

I interviewed for a position where I would make close to what I was making at UC, but part time. The catch is that I would have to work weekends. That would mean no more trips to the lake while it's still nice out, no more Michigan State football games in East Lansing, no more going home for Thanksgiving or California for Christmas; all reasons why I wanted to move closer to Michigan in the first place (besides CA for Christmas). I love my job now and am not sure if I am ready for more commitment to a retail store.

I also have an interview with Jumpstart's Americorps program via the work-study program at school. This would only pay $8.50 (what am I in high school?) 3 days a week, but at least it would be working with kids. I would also get $1,000 at the end directly towards loans. If I get that, I could work there and 2 shifts at my current job. I still don't think I would be puling in the approximately $1200 I need to live off each month. Maybe I should just temp so I have regular working hours. What's a girl to do?

Time to write the rent check.

No comments:

Post a Comment