Friday, October 29, 2010

CSI Chicago: The Case of the Mystery Wheelchair

I have seen a lot in this city in the one short year I've lived here. Human feces on the steps to the EL twice in two weeks? Yep. Someone defecate in a train car at 9 am? Sure. A boy in a foam cylinder crouched on the ground with a hole for his head to pop in and out scaring people? Why not! All are disturbing, but what would city life be without weird stuff?


Yesterday when I left work I saw this tucked in the little alcove between our building and the one we're attached to. This is not just any wheelchair, it is one for a very large person. I looked around for someone who might be getting out of a car or trying to get up off the ground and saw nothing. I felt a bit creeped out and still do. The chair is still sitting there 30+ hours later. The following questions are running through my mind:
  1. Has the chair occupier been murdered? 
  2. Are there limbs in the pile of leaves next to the chair? 
  3. If the person is in fact alive, how are they getting around?
  4. Is this a case of elder abuse?
  5. Is someone coming for their chair?
  6. How do you misplace something like this?
  7. If no one comes back for the chair who will dispose of it?
  8. How long am I going to have to be creeped out by this chair below my window and each time I pass it?
  9. WTF?!?

2 comments:

  1. is it bad that the first thing I wondered was how much you could get for it on CL?

    ReplyDelete