Monday, November 8, 2010

Miss Asia [Insert My University Name Here]

During the break at class a friend and I were walking back from the vending machine when I spotted this out of the corner of my eye. I instantly found it funny when I read qualification #1. Take a look for yourself.
After reading the qualifications more closely I have the following questions:
  1. I am of Asian origin, can I be Miss Asia [insert my university name here]? My family is of European descent (as we say in CSL), my culture is primarily white. What are they trying to say with qualification #1?
  2. you DO NOT have to be full-- full from dinner? Full figured? Full in mental capacity? Is there a better way to phrase this? My multicultural class tells me yes. 
  3. You must be female-- if someone of Asian origin who is somewhat of a "full" phony, like myself, can qualify to represent the Asian community at [insert my university name here] why can't a male also be included? A male who is imersed in Asian culture would be much more appropriate than someone like myself who is "full".
  4. You must be a student (No, you DO NOT have to be a [insert my university name here] student)--huh? Miss Asian [insert my university name here] doesn't have to be a [insert my university name here] student? Did I miss something? 
  5. And what makes this all the more confusing is it is presented as a pageant! I know some Asian women who already feel objectified, and feel some men have Asian fetishes. Does the context of a pageant continue to promote this? Why not have both a male and female and call them [insert my university name here] Asian Ambassadors? It's a bit more inclusive and progressive don't you think? 
While I understand the group is trying to educate others and increase the Asian community's visibility on campus, I question if this is the most effective way to combat stereotypes and raise awareness. What caught my eye as being comical turned out to be much more provocative that I anticipated. 

I didn't put my school name in the post because I am somewhat embarrassed and question if I would want it associated with this type of flier. However, I realize most of my friends know where I go to school :) 

Thoughts? Funny? Strange? Over analyzing? For my classmates out there, what would Tovarr-Murray think? lols

3 comments:

  1. you should probably go for an interview so you can give us more of an in-depth analysis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bombshell33e@gmail.com??? Really? That seems like the professional and appropriate email address to use for an event that is supposed to promote asian awareness and professionalism on campus??? Nice one Kimberly Lee.

    Rachel, please run for this just so you can educate these girls on how to act, speak, type and put on an event. In fact, you would be quite a role model for them...even if you aren't full...from dinner :o)

    ReplyDelete