Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Day of Life as Full Time Graduate Students

Woooo Whooo! Yesterday was his last day at work and today is the first day of his "new" life. He started working for the company in 2007 when we moved to Orange County, CA and transferred with the company when I decided on grad school in Chicago. I am probably feeling more sentimental than he is about his transition from full time employment to full time law student.

Why am I feeling emotional about this? Well, I am anxious (which probably really means I am scared). How will this transition impact our relationship? Our finances? Our life? Scared because people keep telling me about the break-up rate of law students. I am sure we'll be fine though! At the same time, I am proud that he is ambitious, put himself out there, took the risk to go back to school, invest in his/our future. I am excited and hopeful that this is it; he won't hate his job and will feel more fulfilled by this decision. I was so nervous before I started my program, but found myself feeling absolutely content and at home in my decision. I hope he can experience the same peace.

Are we just putting off adulthood by going back to school or is this the next step towards adulthood? Are we delaying the inevitable sucky job, mortgage and kids?  We are 26 and 28. Aren't we adults already? I always told myself I was a real adult when I had my own health insurance and was actively saving for retirement. I was there a year ago, have I reverted? Are we both taking a step back? I keep trying not to compare myself/us to others, but it's hard.

How do you know when you are officially and adult?

1 comment:

  1. when your first 3 topics of conversation are the weather, the market/economy, and your job. that's when you're an adult.

    ReplyDelete