Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We're Screwed

Each time the Mr. and even begin talking about our financial situation, or should I call it our financial "investment", we quickly say to each other, "We're screwed" and leave the conversation at that. What else is there to say?  We figure after our undergrad and advanced degrees we'll owe around...$270,000 to the government and our parents. This doesn't even include the interest. Whhhhaaaaaaat!?  Yes, I am serious. And that is why we think about it for about 5 minutes, feel completely overwhelmed, and move on to another subject. I feel very goal oriented and future focused, but our future is very daunting and can feel overwhelming. Especially considering the fact that we're not that young anymore. We're pretty much full blown adults. With no savings (small retirement funds), with no investments, still renting and feeling very much screwed. Lord help this economy. Pray for us to get jobs when we're done with school. Let's not even think about the goal of owning a home. I've pretty much kissed that goodbye for the next 10-15 years. The other day I calculated the cost of renting from the time we moved in together to when the Mr. finishes law school. We're talking almost 100k here people. I keep feeling like we made a very grave mistake. Would I trade it for the amazing times I've had in California and Chicago? Would I trade it for the quality education I am getting at DePaul? Right now I say no. Ask me next year when I've graduated, looking for a job and about to enter repayment.

Which leads me to the cost of weddings. Is it irresponsible to be spending 30k on a wedding when we're going to be so far in the hole. Sometimes I feel like 30k isn't even going to make a dent on our school debt so we should have the wedding we want. Other times I feel incredibly guilty. What's a girl to do...

How can I help guide students to college knowing the debt load then will face? How can I assure them education is worth the investment when I'm scared myself? I guess it's better than no education, right?

When will the education bubble burst? Not before my time, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment