Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Smile!

In August I wrote about my experiences when I was new to the city and the lack of friendly faces. I wanted to just give an update about my "smile project" and say that it has been going well. Maybe it is the change of season or MSU's amazing 8-0 record, but I have been much more prone to smile at strangers who pass me by on the streets. This past week I have had around 50% smile back, say "hello", or make eye contact with me. I consider this success!

What harm can come from a smile? Sometimes when I see someone who looks particularly "rough" I get worried that a simple smile will attract negative attention. Often times I take the risk, challenging my own beliefs and fears, and do it anyways. This happened just the other day acutally, and when the smile was reciprocated I felt relieved and awful at the same time. Awful because I was scared to smile and show kindness in the first place.

How can we continually challenge our own fears and beliefs?

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you finally wrote a post about your first "blogging" idea. I also posted about a smile revolution. Also, I am glad you did not get accosted like I previously did.

    ReplyDelete